Thursday, October 11, 2007

Tithing

Life has taught me that the Bible is true. Which I knew...but sometimes seeing is believing. I was raised (reared:)) that tithing was what you are supposed to do. The Bible says that 10% of your first fruits should be given back to God. So that is what I have always done.

With that being said, I have never gone without. I have never been hungry, without clothes or shelter...and I have never had a need that hasn't been met. This has taught me that the Lord is faithful and that He blesses us when we are obedient.

So if you are reading this and are in financial troubles, please consider tithing. It may be very difficult at first and a huge sacrifice...but I promise that it will change your life. You will not only see a difference in your finances, but something miraculous happens when you surrender your money to Him.

They say that you can see what is important to a person by their checkbook (or credit card statement). I think it is important to make tithing our first priority when we receive money. I used to think it was just for our income but the Bible does say from our "first fruits". I believe that it means any money that comes in to our lives. Which means from tax refunds, gifts, sales on Ebay, etc. This may sound extreme, but when you look at it from the big picture it seems pretty simple.

We would have nothing without God. Everything we have is because He allows us to wake up everyday and breathe. We would have no job, house, car...health, if He didn't choose to give it to us. I think the least we can do is give a little bit back to Him.

So I would like to challenge you to try it. You may be thinking "I can't even make my bills now, how can I write a check for tithe?". But you will see Him work. He will amaze you at how He decides to provide for you. Try it! Just for a month...I challenge you! Then make sure you tell others of how He has worked a miracle in your life.

Blessings to you!

No comments: