Thursday, August 2, 2007

The meaning...

So when I think of a good steward, I usually automatically go to my Christian upbringing and thoughts of tithing and being faithful with your money. But in the last few months, I have really begun to think of all that I am responsible for in this life. I need to be a good steward of my time, money, body, relationships, and so much more. It definitely is not just about money.

My search right now is for simplicity and for what really matters. What is life really about? What really is meaningful and worth spending my time and energy on. I have two young boys (four years & nine months) that I am trying to bring up to be God fearing men who love others and will be loving husbands and fathers. When you watch children grow and you realize how short time really is...I guess sometimes you begin to put things in to perspective, or at least try to.

So, I have been focusing on drawing closer to God & seeking him for his direction in my life. I have been trying not to go places, just for the sake of keeping busy. I have been trying to see my job as a homemaker as a true job and doing what I do with excellence. I have been trying to be patient with my boys and see life through their eyes (and needs/wants). I have been trying to not spend money on anything that isn't a necessity. I am making a goal to try and be more of a locavore (which I just learned about recently from a poster on diaperpin.com-I'll write more about this later), eating foods that are locally grown or raised within a 100 mile radius of my home. I am trying not to bring anything into my home that cannot be put on our burn pile (I'm not sure if burning paper & cardboard is being a good steward, let me know if you have any thoughts on this) , or composted in our compost pile, or recycled. Anyway, these are some of the actions that I have taken lately to try and direct my life toward being a good steward.

2 comments:

lightening said...

Hi Good Steward. I came here from Rhonda's "down to earth" blog as your blog name really interested me. I too am working on being a good steward of all that God has blessed me with. I love your thoughts on being a good steward with so much more than just time and money. I so agree! I'm very much a work in progress though. :-)

Nicole Marvin said...

I am a work in progress too! Life is a process isn't it? But it's fun trying to be as faithful as you can, with what you have been given. It is my daily challege!