Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Clothes washing & drying

Doing laundry is something that I enjoy. Okay, I know, to many that may sound very strange. But there is something about clean clothes. The freshness of them...how clean they smell coming out of the wash and how crisp they are coming off of the line.

My laundry room is adequate, my line outside is perfect for one load, my detergent is homemade by another mama and my dryer works if I want to use it. What more could a girl want?! My favorite time to hang clothes is in the morning, when the dew is still on the ground. I talk to God as I hang them and feel a peace about life. I feel so blessed.

During the warm months I try to use my outside line a lot. I like how the clothes smell, it uses less energy and the sun bleaches my whites for me. My husband doesn't appreciate crunchy jeans or towels...but he lets me dry as I please. Some days I do use the dryer. Sometimes it is just out of plain laziness...other times I don't plan ahead for the needed drying time.

If anyone is interested, you can make your own homemade laundry detergent. It is very simple. I plan to make my own when my current stash is gone. The recipe is as follows (This is from a mama on Diaperswappers)...

1 cup Washing Soda
1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
1 bar Kirks Castile Soap

Slice soap into strips and run through food processor to make "soap beads".
Combine soap beads, borax, and washing soda. Done!
Use 1 tablespoon for small loads, 2 tablespoons for large loads. Twice as much for soiled clothes, half as much for HE washers.

This should save you money and doesn't have all of the ingredients that commercial brands do.

Happy laundering!:)

No comments: